Question: rashs and fever for my grandson who is 3 1/2

bukswife - Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:37 pm

we have custody of him and its been a while since we have had to worry about these types of medical problems...he came home to us saturday after being with his other grandmother with a 102 fever...(he always comes home sick) he had a little rash on his face..right cheek...on sunday...the fever was gone...he seemed normal but the rash was more intense on his face and was on his arms and legs...he isnt complaining of itching...ironically...on the 15th of july he was returned to us by the other granmother...sick....we left for vacation the next day and he was sick all week..with fever...congestion,,,wheezing,,,cough...
i will take him to his doc tomorrow but i'm just sooooooooo confused... :shock:
 Michele P, RN - Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:06 pm

If you feel the rash only comes after a visit at grandma's there might be something there that he is allergic to.
It could be ANYTHING. Dust, animals, soap, bugs, ANYTHING. There are just simply too many things this could be from. The doctor will most likely suggest some allergy testing after determining what factors he is subjected to that are different than the ones at home.(Ex: You have no pets and he has no contact with them except for when at Grandma's...could be dander, etc).
The fever is probably associated with the allergic reaction, not a separate illness.

Best of Luck :)
 bukswife - Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:32 pm

he has coxsackie????? news to me..never heard of it when my kids were little...he just had the rash now...no other effects... thanks
 Michele P, RN - Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:29 am

bukswife wrote:he has coxsackie????? news to me..never heard of it when my kids were little...he just had the rash now...no other effects... thanks

Normally the way that this goes around (and it spreads like wildfire - there was a case of it in my hospital's daycare center once...the whole daycare had to be shut down for a week) is it spreads from child to child most of the time from unwashed hands or from being in contact with feces.
This leads can lead to what you might know as "Hand, foot, and mouth disease" ; a type of coxsackie. It causes the child to have very painful blisters in the throat, on the tongue, gums, inside of the cheeks, hands and feet.
There are also other forms of coxsackie like: herpangina (a virus infection of the throat), Bornholm disease (spasms in the muscles of the chest. Boys that get that also somtimes have pain in the testicles), conjunctivitis (pink eye), left untreated also very rarely, meningitis
The ONLY reason I am giving you this information, it is not to worry you...your doctor knows best & Im sure if he saw a pattern he would comment but also, so that you can make sure that his hygenic needs are being cared for while he is out of the home and left in the hands of others. At 3 1/2, most for most little boys, there last thoughts are "need to wash my hands" but obviously, it is so so important. Also, when OTHERS do not wash their hands, little children have a tendency to be very oral and go to their mouths with their hands after touching someone/something that is not clean. This can bring it on too.

Best of luck & sorry about the allergy info - my 1st thought was allergic reaction since it happenned with each visit. :)

|