Question: Staph skin infection

mystery_lady - Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:30 am

My son has went to the doctor and been told he has the Staph skin infection. Do you know how long this infection will last? He is talking some kind of iodine rub, but he seems misrable. He says it itches him. Is there anything I can get him or do so that he is at less pain? I don't really know anything about the Staph skin infection.
 Michele P, RN - Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:06 am

mystery_lady wrote:My son has went to the doctor and been told he has the Staph skin infection. Do you know how long this infection will last? He is talking some kind of iodine rub, but he seems misrable. He says it itches him. Is there anything I can get him or do so that he is at less pain? I don't really know anything about the Staph skin infection.

I don't know what type of staph infection he has (impetigo, cellulitis, etc) but either way the easiest way and probably only thing that you can do is soaks in warm water, warm moist washcloths to the area, heating pads or a hot water bottles for about 20 minutes, 3-4 times a day to the area. Tylenol or Motrin can help reduce pain.

The doctor can prescribe a analgesic if none of those methods are cutting it.

As for the duration of the infection, that all depends on A. What it is and B. The course in which you take to treat it. Keep it very clean, have him take the antibiotics as prescribed (Actually, I don't see he was given any...but if he was, take them lol).
 mystery_lady - Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:08 pm

thank you very mcuh...i'll do that

|