Question: 4year old niece eyes would roll back

andrew168 - Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:23 am

Hi, I recently went to visit some of my family members and I notice a problem with my niece that I am concerned about. My niece is around 4 year old. The problem is, when she is staring at you (when you talk or play with her), suddenly her eyes would roll back and we will only see the white part of the eye. After rolling back it will immediately return back to normal. This only happen a few time during my visit, but her grandmother had mention that that had been happening to her ever since she was younger. I am pretty sure that this is not normal for a child. I would like to know if there is anything wrong with her.
 Michele P, RN - Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:56 am

andrew168 wrote:Hi, I recently went to visit some of my family members and I notice a problem with my niece that I am concerned about. My niece is around 4 year old. The problem is, when she is staring at you (when you talk or play with her), suddenly her eyes would roll back and we will only see the white part of the eye. After rolling back it will immediately return back to normal. This only happen a few time during my visit, but her grandmother had mention that that had been happening to her ever since she was younger. I am pretty sure that this is not normal for a child. I would like to know if there is anything wrong with her.

There is a condition called nystagmus that develops in infancy that make their eyes jump r oscillate back and forth.
It can be caused by poor vision or also inherited. Normally though, this condition goes away after around 6months of age and nohing is done for it but after that, consulting a pediatrician who will send the child to the eye doctor is the next step.
If it is more a "lazyeye" like action, there are things that can be done with her to correct that. Following a pencil back and forth, etc. If it is related to a vision problem, corrective glasses can be given.
Either way, its worth mentioning it to her parents to see the pediatrician about it. It might also be that they are aware but just havent talked to the family about it.
I wish your niece luck :)

|