Question: Baby With Lump On His Spine

HelpBaby - Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:00 pm

:?: Hi all. Looking for some help for a friend's son. Caleb is 9 months old now. When he was 6 months old, his mom noticed a lump on his back. It's between the L and T vertibre (spelling??) They just took him to 2 different hospitals and had MRIs done, 3 on his back and one on his skull. The doctors didn't show the parents the MRIs, and gave no name as to what is wrong. They said there is a cyst on his spine up near his head. This is not visible to the eye. What is visible is the lump lower down. It is getting bigger. At the end of the last visit, the parents were told just to come back in 6 months for a check up. When they pressed the doctor for an answer, he said Caleb is, "Abnormally normal". (No ~ I'm not kidding!) When she asked again about the lump, the doctor told her it is a muscle that sticks out farther when he bends over. (As far as I know, muscles aren't suppose to do this OR get visibly bigger as months pass...) The lump is now about 3 inches long and this is pretty big when you consider it's on a 9 month old's back.

Has anybody got a name for this? Any suggestions for research would be greatly appreciated. The mom has 3 boys and not much time for computer searching. I said I would help. The closest guess I'm finding on the net is spinal bifida occulta. Caleb is totally normal except for the lump.

Thanks in advance!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:54 am

I don't think this baby's doctors are being very helpful or cooperative in explaining his condition. It is the parents right to know the diagnosis and to know what effect this would have on him.
I'm afraid it really is difficult to tell what it is exactly that he has without having a look at the MRIs. I suggest the parents go back and insist they get some answers to their questions.
 HelpBaby - Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:50 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will forward it to the parents.

|