News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: what do these symptoms indicate?

4thechildren - Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:06 am

I am a child advocate, and a child in my caseload is presenting several problems. The child has chronic kidney infections, chronic respiratory infections, often has severe rashes, stumbles often, night time bedwetting, has a white "dot" in one eye, and has slightly elevated blood pressure.

The child has been seen by several doctors, and each one noted different problems. The above list is a combination of all the child's medical reports. From this combination of things, it seems to me that this may well be a very sick child. Any ideas?
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:13 pm

User avatar Hi!

From your description, 2 genetic diseases that made semblance included Alport syndrome and Fabry disease. But the manifestations have individual variation, and I could be wrong. Perhaps you would want to discuss with the child's doctor regarding these. How old is the child, and what is the gender of the child? Does the child have relevant family history of similar or other illnesses? Is the hearing normal?

Warm regards,

- Bill
 4thechildren - Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:49 pm

I appreciate your response, Bill. I do intend to meet with the child's PCP, but I figured having some idea of what direction we should be looking in could prove helpful. I also found something called "Alagille Syndrome" which seems to correlate with the symptoms. Are you familiar with it? Apparently it's rare, but it does seem to include the things I listed. I will also look up the diseases you mentioned.

Thank you again.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:54 pm

User avatar Hi again!

I just ran through some of 'Alagille,' and from what I read, most of it is centered around the ailment of liver. I do not know if liver disease is also part of the child's problem. What about the child's sex, age, family history, etc.,?

Warm regards,

- Bill
 4thechildren - Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:28 pm

Hi Bill,

The child is female. She is 4. Can not gather much family history, since one parent cannot be located and the other is hostile. Within the medical records I have, there is no mention of liver problems... (and as to your previous question, no known hearing problems). The child is up to date on all immunizations, and that's about all I know. I hope to obtain further information a.s.a.p.

I appreciate your time.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here