Question: Fatigue, Hair Loss, purple/red rectangles on skin...

amatullah - Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:03 pm

I was on Depakote, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Atavan, Klonopins, Ambien, and Visterol and began feeling weak and tired all the times, my hands would shake and my fingers would twitch. I'd get random muscle spasms all the time. My hair is falling out in clumps, even though I am only 15. Since it has always been thick, I have no bald spots, but I can now tell that my hair is starting to grow thinner due to the hair loss. I feel like I'm always sick. I thought that because of the weight gain I had developed stretch marks, as I had always been very thin before I had never really had them and thought the marks on my skin were them. But when my mother saw them she said they weren't stretch marks, but something else. They are mainly on my thighs, but there are some on the back of my calf. They are red and purple small almost rectangular shapes on my things. When I press on them they don't turn white, and when I pull back/ stretch the surrounding skin, it looks like long red lines in which you can see very very small dots of blood starting to come out. They feel raised, as in, if I run my finger across it feels bumpy. Also, I missed two months of my period and when it started it was extremely heavy and lasted for almost 17 days, as opposed to my normal 11 day periods.

I have just gotten off the depakote, lexapro, atavan, klonopin, ambien, and visterol about three weeks ago because I thought that was causing the fatigue and hair loss and weight gain. For a while, I thought I was anemic, but my doctor ran a lot of tests on me and everything came back normal. He just told me to increase my water intake, which was not especially helpful.

Any idea what this could be?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:25 am

Dear A'ishah,
I believe you were taking these drugs for the treatment of some form of depression. Well, what concerns me was your decision to stop them altogether all of a sudden. Does your doctor agree with this?
As for the fatigue and hair loss, some of these drugs can cause this, in addition to the effect of depression itself.
The red and purple areas you've described sound like varicose veins and fragile capillaries, but you should have your doctor take a look.

|