News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Determining premature closure of growth plates

Redblade - Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:36 am

Hello
I hope I am posting this question in the right forum.

During adolecence I took high doses of accutane for severe acne. I have read that accutane can cause premature closure of growth plates. I do remember that I didnt grow much after I started taking the accutane. I realize there is nothing that can be done now if it did stunt my growth. It just is really affecting me psychologically to think it stunted my growth and I would like to know if it did or it didnt. My question is,can doctors look at an adult skeleton and determine if there was premature closure of growth plates during the growth period? I know that they can see harris lines in bone scans of people who had stunted growth. Is there some similiar indicator that could tell a doctor if my growth plates closed prematurely?

thanks very much for any help
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:06 am

May I ask how old are you now?
 Redblade - Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi Doctor.
I am 31.

Thanks for the reply
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:20 am

Hi Redblade,
I'm afraid it is not possible to know if your growth plates have closed prematurely or not.
I suggest you forget about it since there is nothing that can be done, just accept it as something that was meant to be.
You can, however, know what your expected height should have been through some calculations done by your doctor after obtaining both your parents height. This rough calculation should be helpful to exclude a genetic cause to ensure your children wont suffer short stature.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here