Question: scaring of kidneys due to reflux

billybear - Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:45 pm

Hi my daughter is 11 years old and she has scaring on both her kidneys from reflux. She sufferes from quite a few water infections which with the last few infections she has had a bad pain in her back. She was diagnoised with this when she was 1 but i only found out about a year ago that she was born with it and myself or her dad have the gene. How can I find out who has the gene? My daughter is on a nightly course of antibiotics but as you can see she still gets infections. Is there somthing that can be done to stop this.

Michele P, RN - Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:24 am

billybear wrote:Hi my daughter is 11 years old and she has scaring on both her kidneys from reflux. She sufferes from quite a few water infections which with the last few infections she has had a bad pain in her back. She was diagnoised with this when she was 1 but i only found out about a year ago that she was born with it and myself or her dad have the gene. How can I find out who has the gene? My daughter is on a nightly course of antibiotics but as you can see she still gets infections. Is there somthing that can be done to stop this.

Re: testing: Most of the time 1 of the easiest tests to get a better look at what is going on & what is causing UTIs is a kidney scan. It is a good test & used a lot in for children that are known to have reflux to see the scarring. An IV is inserted, enabling a medicine that makes pictures clearer for radiogy to read (its actually a radioactive dye, but not to scare you, its very normal & common). Then photos of the kidneys are then taken.

Re: the reflux itself: sometimes there are children that need to be on an antibiotic every day to prevent UTIs. Make sure you are following the directions regarding time administration, etc. Antibiotics need to be taken as scheduled & not missed. When the schedule gets switched around or doses are missed, this can cause the antibiotic to not work correctly. If that is not the reason for why the infections continue even on antibiotics, or if there is more scarring that is developing, there have been times where some children have needed surgery.

Talk to your pediatrician about his/her thoughts on having your daughter see a urologist, whom would be of great value in answering your questions/concerns.

re: Genes: Maybe the forum can help me out here, because I'm at a loss for a good answer. There are numerous studies that I have read & more I'm sure you can find on the web regarding the linking of genes, domainant genes, inherited conditions, etc. I do recall reading topics related to that & though there were a lot of studies I read, I never read any 1 thing linking it to 1 certain gene or another. In that case, it would just be a matter of testing both mom & dad to see who is the carrier but when it could be a multitude of genes (I have read that there are a group of genes together that are involved), its just too hard to answer (at least for myself) on the forum. I would suggest though asking the doctor since he feels 1 of you carry the gene, what gene does he feel it is & how would you go about finding the carrier. The answer is basic bloodwork, but again, without knowing what the testing is for, I, personally, cannot offer more insight as to how it is developed or where it starts or comes from. I'm sorry :(

Best of Luck :)

|