Question: sloped shoulders

oddish - Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:41 pm

my 15 yr old daughter's shoulders slope downwards, they are not really straight accross like shoulder's usually look. its not very bad but its very noticeable to me. i am always checking her for signs of scoliosis as it runs in our family and its something that i live with daily. my scoliosis required surgery at the age of 11. i have taken her to our family doctor who gives her an exam and says she is fine but says that we can go for a serious of xrays to ease my mind if needed. i tell myself that i'm just over reacting or looking for things that aren't there. any advice?
 Michele P, RN - Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:27 am

oddish wrote:my 15 yr old daughter's shoulders slope downwards, they are not really straight accross like shoulder's usually look. its not very bad but its very noticeable to me. i am always checking her for signs of scoliosis as it runs in our family and its something that i live with daily. my scoliosis required surgery at the age of 11. i have taken her to our family doctor who gives her an exam and says she is fine but says that we can go for a serious of xrays to ease my mind if needed. i tell myself that i'm just over reacting or looking for things that aren't there. any advice?

It might be a bad posture problem. Sounds like I'm not giving you a serious answer, but I really am being serious. After a while of doing something on a regular basis a certain way, it just becomes natural & so, your daughter might just be standing in a way that is "natural" to her.

Does she have any pain or discomfort? If she has back, neck, or shoulder pain, than yes, I would say follow up is needed but if so far she isnt having any complaints or otherwise known problems, it hopefully its just that she is used to not using her body correctly.

Since your pediatrician is willing to get some xrays done to be safe, it couldnt hurt to do so & in the meantime, if there is no pain, I would encourage her to SIT UP or walk w/her head held high :D That will get her standing/walking/sitting in the best position she should be in & you will be able to see if its just lazy/accustomed movements or a situation. If there is pain, ask your doctor about those tests again & maybe a possible referral to an orthopedist or sports medicine doctor if she is physically active in sports.
 oddish - Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:34 am

thank you very much for your reply. my daughter has no pain, and she is healthy and happy otherwise. I think I will work on improving her posture. she has recently expressed an interest in yoga and is starting classes next week. i think we are taking a step in the right direction. thanks again.

|