Question: first week of college....ear infection?

harold5 - Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:52 am

Hi, it is my first week of college and I am sick already. I have a fever, burning eyes, a cough (with flem), stuffy nose, and fatigue. Also I had pressure in my ears yesterday (not exactly pain but if I pushed on my ears it would hurt) but seems to have gone away today. Also I had temporary hearing loss this morning for about 15 minutes then my ears popped and it was fine. My roommate was also sick with the same symptoms but hes completely better now. My first symptoms were about 3-4 days ago. As of now I have just been taking tylenol to help the fever. Do I have an ear infection? or just a nasty cold and water in my ears?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
 harold5 - Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:13 am

actually i just took my temperature and it was 98.7
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:09 am

Dear Harold,
Really, it would be very difficult to diagnose on-line.
It's best if you visit an ENT specialist in order to have a good look at your ear, as temporary hearing loss is not to be taken lightly.
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:22 pm

Im not a doctor but i just took a test on this
your temperature on what u took depends on many things such as if u just ate food, exercised, took narcotics, etc.

now, it also depends on if u took ur temperature orally, aurally, axillary, or anally
most likely orally right?
then its 98.6 is what it should be orally
99.6 anally
97.6 axillary
anally is most accurate (if your comfortable with that

don't take my word for it im not a profesional
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:12 pm

Since you are in college you should access to a medical faciity for the students as Dr. Ismail suggested.

PakMan is correct in what he has learned about thermometers and factors that affect accurate temperature readings. Tylenol lowers fever, so an accurate reading cannot be expected for at least 8 hours after taking a dose. Also realize that if this IS an infection, taking Tylenol on a regular basis decreases the body's ability to naturally try to kill the bacteria by raising your body's temperature.

There are too many options out there right now to give a definitive answer, again as Dr. Ismail shared. We are in the middle of another allergy season causing stuffy noses, clogged sinuses, and post-nasal drip. These can turn into an infection. Being in college and around new people puts you at risk for viral illnesses, such as a cold or flu.

So as the good doctor told you above, see a physician for a thorough check of the inner ear, throat and sinuses. I hope this resolves soon!

|