Question: anxiety & 14 yr old daughter

daylilydeb - Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:40 pm

My daughter is a some what quiet girl, good student some what active good family life, and our only child. she gets car sick we use dramine for that.
when she started 5 th grade at a new school, she walked into school and started getting sick. it took 2 weeks for her to feel comfortable to take the bus and go to school. don't get me wrong she did go each day but it was not easy for her. she .just started high school 9th grade, new school. She has be having anxiety in the morning before going to school. belly akes and throwing up.
she had gone to the new schools about 4 times to get to know her way around. everything seemed fine. first day was great. second day she threw up on the bus and later that morning in a hallway. called her dr and he gave her a rx for promethazine. well now she is still getting work up before she goes to school. she gets so nervous she throws up the pill and water.
i have talked to her many times about this. and yes it is areal problem for her, she does not know why this happens and she wants to go to school.
she wants to be a teacher . but what is going to happen when collage comes along and her first day of working in the real world. how can i help her. went to her guidance councler and my daughter says that they just talk and they never say anything that helps. please can you shed some light so i can help my beauitful daughter.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:39 am

User avatar Hi daylilydeb,
Anxiety induced nausea and vomiting can be difficult to cope with for parents as well as their children. Guidance Counselors although may be efficient in assisting with resolution of academic related situations offer little assistance regarding situations outside of their realm. I would suggest some relaxation techniques, to assist with her anxiety. You may want to discuss with her physician about a therapist to assist her in this endeavor. I would however, advise you that if medications are suggested for anxiety relief that you be wary, as I would not suggest this approach as an answer. Relaxation techniques, tea preparations, ginger ale, etc., to help resolve nausea, in my opinion, are the safest way to treat adolescents.

|