News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: knots in groin

NCtoCA - Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:06 pm

My 8 year old son has had a knot on each side of his groin for some time now. They are painless. I guess it's swollen lymph nodes. My husband says that he had knots in his lymph nodes as a child and feels these are harmless. What is your opinion?
 NCtoCA - Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:35 pm

It's me again. I've been doing some research on lymph nodes. Could my son's swollen nodes be due to the viral infection he has- molluscum contagiosum?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:31 pm

This is very possible, any infection usually results in lymph node enlargement, as lymph nodes represent a part of our immune system. Their elargement usually means that the immune system is functioning properly.
It is common for children to develop enlarged lymph nodes, which commonly start to disappear around adolescence. They are only paid attention to if they are larger than 2 cm in diameter, become ill-defined, painful and tender, and if the overlying skin shows signs of inflammation
 NCtoCA - Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:38 pm

That is good to know. Thank you very much for helping ease my mind!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here