Question: MRSA as eye infection in a 2 1/2 year old

Ryansmom - Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:52 pm

Just last week ( Wednesday to be exact) my 2 1/2 year old had eye surgery for a glandular infection that ended up being MRSA. The doctors believed that it started as a simple sty, but that somehow he was exposed to Staph. Within a day his poor eye looked like he had been in a boxing match. My question to you is in regards to relapse and exposure. He attends daycare (not back yet), but is on a very high powered antibiotic and is acting fine. What is the percentage for relapse, what should I be looking for, and could it effect other areas of the body? We are doing the eye drops and nasal swab also to prevent further transmission. I have just read several articles online that speak of this resistant staph spreading to the lungs and causing death. What am I up against?

Thank you for your time,
 CharleenC - Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:29 pm

I think it is QUITE significant to find out your child got MRSA in an eye infection. What I would think would be done by the doctor and department of health is finding out what the source was. This is a very contagious bacteria that is resistant to a lot of antibiotics and yes, can be very difficult to get rid of. Secondly, your child is also a high risk to other children in a daycare. This bacteria is usually more worrisome in people are immunosupressed. I would ask the tough questions about how my child got this in the first place, and I would be in contact with the department of health. We need to ensure we are not letting this superbug spread unnecessarily in the community. Again, not everyone exposed will get it, but it is significant that a 2 yr old had this in the first place. Was he ever in the hospital before the infection broke out? What antibiotic is he on? How did they know it was MRSA, did they swab it? If he were in the hospital he would be in isolation, so I think you have some questions to get answers for. Please keep me posted. Charleen

|