Question: old wives tale or true?

lilysuzanne - Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:15 pm

Is it beneficial to add gelatin and yeast to infant formula? If so why?
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 pm

User avatar I have not heard of that and would not try that until you consult with your pediatrician...............Angela,RN
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:59 pm

lilysuzanne wrote:Is it beneficial to add gelatin and yeast to infant formula? If so why?

They say that it helps with better digestion for the baby's stomach but I personally do not see the need for it.
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:25 pm

User avatar I would agree it is not nessesary.....and I would even question problems down the road for these little ones. I will ask around and get some M.D thoughts on this.................Angela,RN
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:41 pm

nurseinwi wrote:I would agree it is not nessesary.....and I would even question problems down the road for these little ones. I will ask around and get some M.D thoughts on this.................Angela,RN

We once had a child in the ER at my facility whom the parent stated she gave the Brewer's yeast/gelatin combo to every morning because she was told that it helps with ADD. I also read at that time that some are saying it helps with Autism.

I agree with neither.

That child was admitted with a bacterial infection & secondary yeast infection in the mouth, making it impossible to swallow on his own because it hurt him so badly.

With all due respect for those herbal followers, I wouldnt suggest yeast in a bottle. To me, that is for stew & bread lol.
 lilysuzanne - Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:57 pm

thank you, thank you, thank you and my little man thanks you, but he doesn't know it yet.
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm

User avatar you are very welcome, I hope we were able to help......Angela,RN

|