News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: old wives tale or true?

lilysuzanne - Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:15 pm

Is it beneficial to add gelatin and yeast to infant formula? If so why?
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 pm

User avatar I have not heard of that and would not try that until you consult with your pediatrician...............Angela,RN
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:59 pm

lilysuzanne wrote:Is it beneficial to add gelatin and yeast to infant formula? If so why?

They say that it helps with better digestion for the baby's stomach but I personally do not see the need for it.
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:25 pm

User avatar I would agree it is not nessesary.....and I would even question problems down the road for these little ones. I will ask around and get some M.D thoughts on this.................Angela,RN
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:41 pm

nurseinwi wrote:I would agree it is not nessesary.....and I would even question problems down the road for these little ones. I will ask around and get some M.D thoughts on this.................Angela,RN

We once had a child in the ER at my facility whom the parent stated she gave the Brewer's yeast/gelatin combo to every morning because she was told that it helps with ADD. I also read at that time that some are saying it helps with Autism.

I agree with neither.

That child was admitted with a bacterial infection & secondary yeast infection in the mouth, making it impossible to swallow on his own because it hurt him so badly.

With all due respect for those herbal followers, I wouldnt suggest yeast in a bottle. To me, that is for stew & bread lol.
 lilysuzanne - Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:57 pm

thank you, thank you, thank you and my little man thanks you, but he doesn't know it yet.
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm

User avatar you are very welcome, I hope we were able to help......Angela,RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here