Question: Speach Impairment

brookster - Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:32 pm

My grandson is 19 months old and can not speak. He does point and make sounds when he wants you to look at something. Aoout half the time he seems to respond to his name. He plays with toys, smiles, makes faces, makes eye contact, points to a dog when someone says "doggie". As a baby(born 3 weeks early), he had severe reflux problem until over 1 year old; was allergic to milk but no longer; is still allergic to soy products.
Basically he seems to be happy and mobile, but he just can not speak.
I have read articles about ASD and Semantic Pragmatic Communication Disorder but
while some symptons apply, most don't. His pediatrician has said " not to worry, he will grow out of it". My other grandchildren did not have this problem.
Can you kind of direct me to where I should go, whom I should speak to, or am I worrying about nothing.
 angel2close - Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:51 am

Each and every child developes at their own speed. It is never fair to the child, nor good for your well-being to compare one child's speed of doing things to another child. As a toddler, I did not speak either until I was just over two y.o. When I did begin to speak however, I spoke in full sentences, not just a word. If your grandchild has been tested for hearing and no problems were found, it may very well be that he chooses not to speak right now. Give him some time and see what happens before you begin to worry. Some children simply wait to speak until they really have something to say. [/list]
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:17 pm

Hi, im 17 in highschool, im enrolled in a health occupations course, we just had a guest speaker about speech therapy, etc. They stated facts such as parents worrying too early during child developement about speech. correct me if im wrong but i believe they said to start to think about the situation between the ages of 2-3 im not positively sure.

there are also special speech schools and such
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:13 am

It is acceptable for speech to be delayed until the age of 3 years.
However, since you've mentioned he doesn't always respond to his name, and that he previously suffered reflux ( which commonly results in repeated ear infection), I would suggest you check his hearing.

|