Question: johnnie jump-ups

lilysuzanne - Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:50 am

I have heard bad things about jump-ups, bu t can't find any info on them. Are the newer models safe as I see them in stores?
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:06 pm

lilysuzanne wrote:I have heard bad things about jump-ups, bu t can't find any info on them. Are the newer models safe as I see them in stores?

I saw in Target today a Johnny Jump Up by Evenflo, so they are still around. Are they the safest option? That I cannot answer. It would be a personal choice to me. For myself, I would go with the newer item on the market, (these have been around a while too ) - the excersaucer. This is a little safer in my opinion because it is not a hanging device that could possibly break under pressure. Once your little man start bouncing up and down, you never know. Than again, he might be ok in it.

Excersaucers, (if space is not a factor) are wonderful. There are a variety of noisemakers, mirrors, pop-up surprises, etc. that come on different models to entertain the baby while at the same time, giving them the ability to use their legs, & keeping them in 1 spot safe so you know where they are instead of the old fashioned walker that they can go all over and still get into mischief or the jumper which lets them bounce, but provides no other stimpulation than that.

I hope that was helpful :)
 lilysuzanne - Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:17 pm

I heard jump ups are bad because they cause imbalance and abnormal body movements, resembling the nuerological disorder Happy Puppet Syndrome, is this a myth because a lot of people believe it?.If it's true, there is something wrong with these jump ups still on the market.Thank you for your response.I still can't find any info in medical journals but find it odd so many people believe this.
 Michele P, RN - Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:03 pm

lilysuzanne wrote:I heard jump ups are bad because they cause imbalance and abnormal body movements, resembling the nuerological disorder Happy Puppet Syndrome, is this a myth because a lot of people believe it?.If it's true, there is something wrong with these jump ups still on the market.Thank you for your response.I still can't find any info in medical journals but find it odd so many people believe this.

I have not heard of that myself. Sorry I could not help
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:30 pm

User avatar I did some searching on the internet, and I haven't found anything at all to support the claim that a johnny jump up is not safe.
Talk to your pediatrician, explain your concerns, and see what they think. There are many many other toys if you don't feel comfortable with this type.

|