News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: neocate not working

Nicks mum - Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:56 am

My son Nick is 6 months old. He was born with a cleft palate and at 6 weeks old a naso-gastric feeding tube was put in as bottle feeding was SO hard, he HATED it, it was making him too tired and he was loosing colour. He is now fully tube fed. He is on losec. Two months ago an upper GI endoscopy was done (this was due to him throwing up considerable amounts at about 3 of his 6 feeds a day and him wriggling a lot duing tube feeds) the endoscope revealed a large number of intra-epithelial eosinophilis in the oesophagus consistent with eosinophilic oesophagitis. In addition there was mild to moderate gastritis. The gastroenterologist thought it consistent with eosinophilic gut disease and put Nick on Neocate, which he has been on for at least one month.

This is where the problems have got way worse. He is now throwing up at 5 of his 6 feeds, still considerable amounts (about 50 mls of the 150mls given each feed). I try re-feeding but with mimimal success. I wonder why there are more allergic cells in his eosophagus than his stomach, considering he has been fully tube fed since he was 6 weeks old. I don't know what to do next- I've tried every different feeding position, doing the feed slowly, not moving him (the feed he keeps down is done when he is in a very deep sleep in the middle of the night, I don't wake him). Weight gain is very slow- but minimally there. He is starting to wriggle again and arch his back half way through the feeds. I feel I should put him back on the "normal" formula. Is it common for babies to react poorly to the neocate? Nick hates swallowing, and I feel is never going to take food/ drinks orally- I need help!!!! Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:37 am

Yes, it is common for babies with eosinophilic oesphagitis to respond poorly to neocat and in that case steroids are prescribed. Even then relapses are common, necessitating long-term therapy with low-dose steroids or even immunosppresive therapy.
Hidden parasitic infection remains an elusive and unrecognized cause of an unknown number of cases, suggesting that empiric antihelminthic therapy should also be tried in some patients.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here