News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: High bilirubin

Lynncorry1964 - Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:29 am

It was discovered that my 13 year old son has high bilirubin levels. I was told the norm is 2.2 - 10 and his is 3x the norm at 66. I wasn't told if this was total, direct or indirect. (not sure if I have the proper teminology). HIs bloodwork came back normal as did the ultrasound. We are scheduled to see a pediatrician this week. My son had jaundice as a newborn to dangerously high levels and then in the sixth week it plummetted to normal. Around 2 years of age it was discovered that he was anemic. He was treated and all seemed well. At around 7 years of age he became jaundiced again. He was then treated as having a liver infection. Since then we and others have noticed his yellowish skin tone. I've taken him often to have his iron checked but the doctors always stated he was ok. Could someone please inform me on what could possibly be the problem. I am concerned about luekemia. There are others in close relation to my husband and I that have suffered from this disease. Both adults and children. Am I correct in thinking the levels may be directly caused by this disease?
 Lynncorry1964 - Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:19 pm

sorry, the levels are 10 - 22
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:45 am

We may need more details, such as:
What type of hyperbilirubinemia is he suffering, direct, indirect or both?
Also, the jaundice that occured as a baby, did he then require exhange of blood or how was he treated? What were the levels?
What type of anemia did he suffer and how was he treated? Did it require blood transfusion?
What are the results of his liver function tests and was he ever tested for hepatitis?
 Lynncorry1964 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:53 am

we are presently waiting for the results of his most recent blood tests. His bilirubin levels as a baby were 187. As for the type of bilirubin (total, indirect) we were never informed. There has never been an exchange of blood and we are not sure what type of anemia but it was due to insufficient iron levels. I will have more information within 2 weeks.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here