Question: Night Terrors?

cdorfsmith - Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:47 pm

My 28 month old son wakes up at night screaming about once a month. He doesnt stop crying for about an hour regarless of what we do. It doesnt seem like anything is hurting him, he just cries. I have heard of night terrors which seems similar to this. I just want to find something to calm him down, he cries so hard, and seems to throw a tantrum of sorts. Any ideas would be helpful...thanks
 DeLWolcott - Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:12 pm

My daughter had these until she was at least 4 years old. Very unnerving for the parents, and the child doesn't remember it.

The only way I could get her to calm down was to hold her in a very tight hug, rock and sing a song that I had sung to her from infancy. It would take about 10 minutes, but she would eventually hear it in her dream and start calming down. So "my" suggestion would be to find some sound that he depply attaches to during his normal day. A TV show song, a children's song that he loves to sing, ask him if he wants to go play ball or something else that he really enjoys doing. You'll have to repeat this several times and even fairly loudly before it will penetrate his dream, but hopefully it will finally get through and his dream will shift to that topic.

Be sure to hold him in a firm hug while doing this so he doesn't hurt you or himself. As you've seen, it's impossible to wake them up from this state. I hope what worked for me will help you find a solution for your child. They do finally grow out of this, thank goodness.
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:53 pm

cdorfsmith wrote:My 28 month old son wakes up at night screaming about once a month. He doesnt stop crying for about an hour regarless of what we do. It doesnt seem like anything is hurting him, he just cries. I have heard of night terrors which seems similar to this. I just want to find something to calm him down, he cries so hard, and seems to throw a tantrum of sorts. Any ideas would be helpful...thanks

They call Night Terrors a mother's nightmare & it's easy to see why!!

Taking a bath, reading a book, calm activities before sleep can also help lessen the frequency of night terrors. Sleep schedules, studies have found, are very much a part of NT's.

Best of luck :)

|