Question: 4 yr old sick on off for 5 mos.

Bailey5 - Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:11 pm

My daughter is 4 yrs old. She is normally a healthy and very active child. However since Sept she has had one illness after another with 1 or 2 weeks of up time before she is down again.
Sept. Ear infection, Oct Strep throat, Ear innfection, Nov Flu Double ear infection, Dec Strep throat again.

Complains of headaches, always cold, cirlces under her eyes. (no matter how much rest she gets)

Her Pedi did a QBC to ck iron level, RBC and WBC. They told me the results were within normal limits. Could she really be this sick for no reason. I have a 3 yr old who has a weaker immune system how gets sick easy and has only had 1 ear infection and 1 cold. Usually she is the one that is sick and on breathing treatments and steroids.
i just want to make sure I am not overlooking anything and I have done everything I can in the best interst of my child.

I have heard of children getting sick like this and they are anemic or end up having Leukemia. As much as would never want my child to have anything like that and amthankful her test cam back normal. I do not want to blow it off an then later something come up and it has really hurt her.

Any input would be appreciated.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:42 am

User avatar Hi!

I hope by the time this reply finds you, the illnesses that haunt your child are locked up somewhere far and safe. It is probably right to be anxious of any preventable or potentially curable disease that could be detected early and eliminated; but, to an extent beyond which anxiety can ruin the mindset.

When you mentioned that your second child had a 'weaker immune system' did you mean that the child had some kind of immunodeficiency disorder? If so, or if there is history of immunodeficiency in the family, it would be prudent to check out your child for immunodeficiency.

By ear infection, was your child diagnosed with acute otitis media? Does your child attend a daycare center? Some of the preventive aspects to check out would be passive tobacco smoke, daycare centers, vaccines, and antibiotic prophylaxis. I feel your child qualifies for the rather controversial preventive step of antibiotic prophylaxis for otitis, which may be further discussed with your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Bill
 Bailey5 - Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:42 am

Bill,

My youngest daughter has CHD (Congenital heart diease) Therefore is more susceptible to infection, however is slowly outgrowing this.
My 4yr old.. who is theeee middle child... has always been the stonger.. healthy one.
SHe does attend daycare, however did so last year also,,, and never went to the doctor for antibiotics. Yes we smoke but not in the house or in the car. So 2nd handsmoke is out. SHe has had all her shots and just received her 4 yr old shots on Jan 20th. She is now sick again. Complaining of her throat.. So I am sure she has Strep again.. This will be the 3rd time... I just don;t see this as normal.. I have never seen a child so sick with one thing after another she just got off anitbitoics the 15th of Jan... For Strep and on the 2oth they did a strep test to make sure it was gone... It came back Negative.We changed her toothbrush ... So i know that is not the case... She was DX with otitis Media, Acute Suppurative. The ear drum had not ruptured.

Dad gets sick easily but he also had Congenital Heart Disease. (Different defect then the baby).

SO it seems that as soon sh she finishes her antibiotic she gets a 2 week break and is sick again.. I am taking her to the Doctor tomorrow... If I wanted more tests run I don;t even know what kind of doctor to take her too. Her Pedi... Thinks this is normal for her

Thanks Kim
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:55 pm

Daer Kim,
I know this is coming in a little late, but you may find it helpful to do her a B and T cell function. Her immune system should be thoroughly investigated!

|