Question: pain in my sides

alias - Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:20 pm

Hi, I am a 17 year old girl. For the past 2 weeks I have been having pain in my sides. It's right above my pelvis and below my belly button. At first it was just the right side, but now both sides hurt. It would come and go, but for the last 2 days it has been pretty constant. It feels like someone hit me, and sometimes there's alot of pressure. It doesn't hurt per say, but it's uncomfortable. I had a urin test and it can back fine. I didn't have a bowl movement for 3 days, but then I had two in a day and became regular again. I was also at the rumitory arthritis doctor and he said he though it was muscle pain. I'm not sure I agree because I have a lot of muscle pain(being an athlete) but this just feels different. Do you have anysuggestions? Thanks.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:24 pm

I need to know first how regular is your menstrual cycle, and when was the last time you had your menses? Are you running a fever?
Also, do you frequently develop constipation or irregular bowel habits?
 alias - Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:47 am

Hi, thanks for answering my question. My menstral cycle is fairly regular; it's about every 24 days and lasts 6 days. I just ended mine Tuesday October 4. No, I don't believe I have frequent constipation per say, but sometimes it takes me a while to go. It's not often, maybe two to three times a month, but it's been that way for years. I just wait and go later. My bowls are regular. They're once a day with a couple exections here are there; it might skip a day. No I haven't had a fever.
The pain hasn't been as bad lately, but it's still noticable. It's mostly on the right side of my stomach. However, sometimes when I go to sleep if I lay on my left side it's feels like ther's a ball of pressure/pain that moves from my right side to my left side. And I don't feel the pain on the right. That pain hurts worse than the pain did on the right side. It goes away thou if I lay on my stomach. (I'll feel like I did before I layed down.) Thank you again for your time.
Dee
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:32 pm

One possibility is a congested uterus pulling at its supporting ligaments.
Lack of fever is reassuring.
You may wish to perform an ultrasound if you find the pain persistent and distressing.
 alias - Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi. Thanks for responding. I had some type of scan done(not sure what it was called). They stuck a needle with iodone in my arm and put me through a little tunnel. I found that I had an assist on my right overy. The doctor however, does not think that is what is causing the pain. The pain got worse but an utrasound proved that the assist had acutally burst on its own. I still have the pain but it seems to be worse when I have it. I see a Gynecologis tomorrow. Wondering if you have any ideas, and is there a possibility that this problem could cause me to become infertile. Thanks again.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:25 am

Ovarian cysts tend to recur. It may occur as an isolated condition or as part of a disease as PCO( polycystic ovaries).
Infertility may occur in the presence of hormonal abnormalities. Let's see what the Gynecologist has to say.

Infertility may occur in the presence of hormonal disturbances. Let's see what the Gynecologist has to say.
 alias - Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:37 pm

Ok. All the gynecologist had to say was that he didn't think the pain had anything to do with my "female organs." He said the pain was too high. The pain ranges from about an inch from the connection of my hip to the bottom of my first couple ribs. (on the side) He did an internal exam to see if he felt anything and he didn't.
I occasionally feel a great deal of pressure when I pee. And I've have been urinating more frequently than usual. Also my periods have been really heavy and painful. (I usually have no pain or cramps ever) But, he wants to send me to a urologist. What do you think?
 alias - Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:39 pm

What I ment about "pain on my side" was it's on the side but it moves to the middle. If I put my hands on my sides the pain could almost touch my fingertips on a bad day. It engulfs the whole area.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:24 am

I'm not sure. The symptoms you've described go along with the presence of marked congestion in your abdomen and pelvis, but the source of this I cannot tell, since I haven't examined you.
A congested uterus would result in heavy menses, a congested bladder could be the cause of frequent urination. Congestion also causes constipation.
But there has to be a source for congestion, such as a mass lesion or inflammation of any of the abdominal or pelvic organs that would then result in the entire area of the abdomen or pelvis becoming congested.
Newly formed ovarian cysts is still a possibility. There are many other possibilties, but again it's difficult to localize the source of this pain since I cannot examine you.
You need to discuss this again with your doctor, and please tell me what he/she thinks.
 alias - Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:59 pm

Hello again. Sorry for not replying in such a long time. It’s been a year and no one can seem to find the reason I am experiencing this pain. I still have the pain; I have just learned to live with it. At school I can’t even lean my books agaist my side because it hurts, so I carry them in a book bag or against my chest.
I went to a pediatrician at children’s hospital that specializes in hard to diagnose cases. She prescribed birth control. This was a great help although it did not rid me of the pain completely. It did lessen the pain and make it not so uncomfortable to be touched around the waist. My periods “cleaned up” (the blood returned to a bright red instead of a dark, dirty red color, and the extreme cramping went away. There was still pain but less by far. Around the third month of taking the birth control, however, I began to suffer from irregular heartbeats. My heart would race, for a few seconds, or skip a beat. It was mostly noticeable at night but I did notice it during the day as well. However, I have suffered from occasional heart palpitations but this was different. I never had experienced them during the day before. I finished talking the last 4 pills in the pack, and didn’t renew the prescription. I was fine for about 3 months then I was back where I started again. The pain was back in full force, like I said I can’t carry my school books against my side.
I have been thinking about what you said about congestion and PCO. To push against my sides it feels like the insides are bruised. They are extremely sensitive. If it is PCO do I just have a blood test done to see if that is the case? I looked up some of the symptoms and one that stood out was the hair growth. In the last 2 years I have noticed a path of dark hairs just below my belly button. I shave them as they are darker then the rest of the hairs on my stomach. Also, I find myself plucking dark hairs from the underside of my chin. Just an observation. Thank you again for your time and advice.

|