Question: Amoxicillin

ARod - Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:57 pm

Sat. we took my 19mth old son to the ER because he was crying for 3 hours straight and then vomited. The said that his ears looked a little pink and that it could be a first sign of ear infections in both ears. So they prescribed him amoxicillin. When I picked up the prescription I noticed the dosage amount and asked my pharmacist if it was correct. The Dr. said to give him 125/5ml (2 and 1/4 teaspoons TWICE A DAY). The pharmacist said that it should be ONCE A DAY INSTEAD OF TWICE, but he was just filling the order from the ER Dr. My son is 25lbs, he has a cold with a runny nose and cough and no fever. I'm not really even sure if he has ear infections or if the dosage amount is correct. Please help! Thanks so much for your assistance!
 Michele P, RN - Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:06 pm

ARod wrote:Sat. we took my 19mth old son to the ER because he was crying for 3 hours straight and then vomited. The said that his ears looked a little pink and that it could be a first sign of ear infections in both ears. So they prescribed him amoxicillin. When I picked up the prescription I noticed the dosage amount and asked my pharmacist if it was correct. The Dr. said to give him 125/5ml (2 and 1/4 teaspoons TWICE A DAY). The pharmacist said that it should be ONCE A DAY INSTEAD OF TWICE, but he was just filling the order from the ER Dr. My son is 25lbs, he has a cold with a runny nose and cough and no fever. I'm not really even sure if he has ear infections or if the dosage amount is correct. Please help! Thanks so much for your assistance!

Ok, let me start with this, not to confuse you more, but this is the actual dosing according to Amoxicillin guidelines. Then I will explain:

Infants 3 months of age and older and children weighing up to 40 kg (88 lbs.)—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The usual dose is 6.7 to 13.3 mg per kg (3 to 6 mg per pound) of body weight every eight hours or 12.5 to 22.5 mg per kg (5.7 to 10.2 mg per pound) of body weight every twelve hours.

Medicine is all math so lets start with 1st off: 5ml = 1 teaspoon so your calculation of 2 1/4 teaspoon is off.

every kg = 2.4lbs . So, if doing the math, the dose is correct.

Best of luck :)
 island_doc - Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:04 am

Just wanted to add that children can present with red/pink ear drums while crying and may not necessarily indicate an ear infection. Doctors would like to know if the child was tugging or pressing the ears to give an idea of localization of ear pain. We also have to rely on a detailed history as well as a physical exam. Additionally, Amoxicillin is recommended at a twice a day or three times a day dose. With your son's weight, the highest dose i'd give, in this situation, according to my calculations is 250mg twice a day....so if i use 125mg/5ml that would be 2 teaspoons (10ml). The alternative is Amoxicillin (250/5ml) which would be one teaspoon twice a day.
Also, most colds with runny noses are viral infections which resolve spontanously after a few days. (no fever). We all must be careful of the over-consumption of antibiotics.

|