News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Amoxicillin

ARod - Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:57 pm

Sat. we took my 19mth old son to the ER because he was crying for 3 hours straight and then vomited. The said that his ears looked a little pink and that it could be a first sign of ear infections in both ears. So they prescribed him amoxicillin. When I picked up the prescription I noticed the dosage amount and asked my pharmacist if it was correct. The Dr. said to give him 125/5ml (2 and 1/4 teaspoons TWICE A DAY). The pharmacist said that it should be ONCE A DAY INSTEAD OF TWICE, but he was just filling the order from the ER Dr. My son is 25lbs, he has a cold with a runny nose and cough and no fever. I'm not really even sure if he has ear infections or if the dosage amount is correct. Please help! Thanks so much for your assistance!
 Michele P, RN - Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:06 pm

ARod wrote:Sat. we took my 19mth old son to the ER because he was crying for 3 hours straight and then vomited. The said that his ears looked a little pink and that it could be a first sign of ear infections in both ears. So they prescribed him amoxicillin. When I picked up the prescription I noticed the dosage amount and asked my pharmacist if it was correct. The Dr. said to give him 125/5ml (2 and 1/4 teaspoons TWICE A DAY). The pharmacist said that it should be ONCE A DAY INSTEAD OF TWICE, but he was just filling the order from the ER Dr. My son is 25lbs, he has a cold with a runny nose and cough and no fever. I'm not really even sure if he has ear infections or if the dosage amount is correct. Please help! Thanks so much for your assistance!

Ok, let me start with this, not to confuse you more, but this is the actual dosing according to Amoxicillin guidelines. Then I will explain:

Infants 3 months of age and older and children weighing up to 40 kg (88 lbs.)—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The usual dose is 6.7 to 13.3 mg per kg (3 to 6 mg per pound) of body weight every eight hours or 12.5 to 22.5 mg per kg (5.7 to 10.2 mg per pound) of body weight every twelve hours.

Medicine is all math so lets start with 1st off: 5ml = 1 teaspoon so your calculation of 2 1/4 teaspoon is off.

every kg = 2.4lbs . So, if doing the math, the dose is correct.

Best of luck :)
 island_doc - Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:04 am

Just wanted to add that children can present with red/pink ear drums while crying and may not necessarily indicate an ear infection. Doctors would like to know if the child was tugging or pressing the ears to give an idea of localization of ear pain. We also have to rely on a detailed history as well as a physical exam. Additionally, Amoxicillin is recommended at a twice a day or three times a day dose. With your son's weight, the highest dose i'd give, in this situation, according to my calculations is 250mg twice a day....so if i use 125mg/5ml that would be 2 teaspoons (10ml). The alternative is Amoxicillin (250/5ml) which would be one teaspoon twice a day.
Also, most colds with runny noses are viral infections which resolve spontanously after a few days. (no fever). We all must be careful of the over-consumption of antibiotics.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here