Question: persistant lymphadenopathy in 3y/o

mozeypozey - Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:58 am

My 3 y/o son has had lymphnodes swollen in the back/left side of his neck for almost 2 years now. These are not under his jaw. We have had a CT scan, and are seeing an ENT, however he says they are nothing. We have done antibiotics, with no change. My son complains that they are tender sometimes. We are concerned that they may develope into something more. Any advice as to what else we should do? Thank you
 Michele P, RN - Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:31 am

mozeypozey wrote:My 3 y/o son has had lymphnodes swollen in the back/left side of his neck for almost 2 years now. These are not under his jaw. We have had a CT scan, and are seeing an ENT, however he says they are nothing. We have done antibiotics, with no change. My son complains that they are tender sometimes. We are concerned that they may develope into something more. Any advice as to what else we should do? Thank you

Neck lynphadenopathy can be due to a variety of causes. The most common being an infection in the throat, near the neck or in the ears.

Most of the time they are viral infections, though sometimes bacterial. If bacterial, a course of antibiotics would be useful. If it is viral, it might be possible that its just not going away? Either way, I would inform the doctor that he complains of pain at times in the neck from it & maybe suggest taking another approach such as biospy if you feel there is something there that they might not realize but you do. That, and a 2nd opinion.

Best of Luck :)

|