Question: hives+ with 3yr old

what to do - Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:52 pm

My 3 year old started with a rash about 2 weeks ago.At first they looked like small masquito bites.I took him in and was told it was either A tipical chicken pox or hives.I kept him in and stuck with oatmeal baths and benadryl.This seemed to work until yesterday.He started to tell me his pee pee hurt.(thats what he calls it).I went to look and noticed he was swollen and in a lot of pain.At the same time his hives are now circular (some of them) and Very inflamed.I took him straight to the DR. and was sent for a ultrasound .(to make sure his testicles weren't twisted).We found that it is soft tissue swelling and his testicles were pushed back into the canal.He was put on an antibiotic called...cefzil.He wears a pull up at night except last night.(he sleeps to hard to wake up to use the bathroom)Normally in the morning he is soaked.Last night he didn't even have an accident .And isnt peeing alot like normal.
My question is is this dangerous?And how long can his testicles be in the canal (safely)?Could this be linked together?(He is still swollen and bruised) His hives seem to be unfased by the benedryl,and after 2 weeks have become much more intens.
Oh and has only had a low grade fever from time to time.He has not had a consistant fever.
Thank you for any insite
(he thanks you too)
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:32 am

I suggest you take your child to the ER immediately.
The decrease in urination, wheather due to decreased formation or its retention and the presence of bruising are serious signs.
Also, it is not quite clear to me the nature of this soft tissue swelling you've mentioned.
If all turns out well at the ER, kindly reconsult.
 what to do - Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:07 pm

We have tried the ER and that Dr."man handled" my son.And said at his age it was normal for his testicles to reseed.He also went on to tell me he was able to force them down.Is that safe? I was shocked at his reply then he told me he would just send him to a specialist.Needless to say we have now (as of yesterday )been to a ped. urologist.He thinks the hives and the swelling are related.He said the hives spread to his scrotum which (like hives do) caused the swelling there.He also said this is a virus which last up to 4 weeks.It aparently looks like a lot of masquito bites for the first two weeks and flares up during the second week.
As of to day the rash (hives) are on the tops of his fett causing them to swell.He cant even bend his ankles because of the swelling.His scotum swelled up again last night.When the rash flares up around his eyes, he looks like he has a black eye.When the rash popped up around his mouth his lips swelled up.
At this piont I am being told to keep him on Motrin (for swelling and pain) and Benedryl for the itching.
Is there a way to see if there is a name for this virus?My Dr. is pretty stumped and is not sure of the incubation period or really anything else.Should he be on an antiinflamitory?
Thank you for your reply..
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:07 pm

I am still concerned, and I don't believe you are receiving enough information about your child's condition.
Swelling as severe as that you've described, as well as decreased urination warrant further investigation, please rediscuss this with your doctor.
Also, you mentioned in your first mail that there was bruising, could you please shed more light on that.
 what to do - Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:38 pm

Ok, to answer your question..The bruising was red with a purpleish tint to it.
It has taken 5 days for the bruising to almost go away.I cant seem to get anyone to do any blood test.NONE have been done.He is now a regamine of...
1 zyrtec in the evening
1 clarinex in the morning
Axid twice a day
I was told this is to treat the hives.
My sister talked to a friend of hers and she said she knew of a child that had simular symtoms and it was called HD something.
EVERYONE (Dr.s) keep saying this might have been caused by a virus.What kind of virus causes this?He had NO symtoms before the rash started.
The feet swelling without the rash being flared up,and his scrotum swelling with out the rash really concerned me,but no one else.His feet also bruised with swelling for two daysUsually when there was swelling ,it was swelling undernieth the rash.
.He is doing better today,and is playing and acting normal.The rash seems to be going away,hopefully there wont be another flare up.This rash seems to look like it is almost gone ,but flares up the next day.
I will keep you posted....
Thank you again.
 what to do - Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:03 am

Well,

We changed doctors and she did blood work.His white cell count was normal and his platelet count was normal.She also tested liver and kidney and those came back normal.He still has a rash so I suppose we may not ever know what this was.The swelling had us all concerned and we havent had anymore swelling with bad bruising since Sunday.Thanks for everything.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:43 am

This is a more comforting post. I'm glad the lab results turned out fine.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if something new comes up.

|