News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: hepatitis from birth

oddish - Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:37 pm

Is it possible for Hepatits C to be passed to a baby from an infected father? I'm asking because my ex-husband was diagnosed with Hep C. I was tested and was cleared but I often wonder about my daughter who has always experienced some unexplained and constant illnesses all of her life (chronic constipation, vaginal discharge, back pain, anal fissures, chest pains, hemangiomas on her tummy etc). Five years have past since he was diagnosed and I just thought about the Hep C and my daughter possibly having it just recently. She is 12 years old now. I guess the smart thing to do would be just to get her tested and put my mind at ease but we currently have no family doctor and am on a waiting list. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Elias Barrios MD - Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:11 pm

The Hepatitis C virus is transmitted either by blood transfusion and its derivatives or sex mainly , and exceptionally by contact with personal items with blood in it or genital exposure.
Therfore if that is not the case , you should not be worry about that. It is more important to get to know why she is having vaginal dischage , why she is having anal fisures and to get to a diagnosis.

There is a 4 per cent of passing the virus to the baby when a mother is infected and if the mother is also HIV positive then the risk is even higher (20 percent)

Dr. Elias Barrios MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here