Question: Legs turning purple while standing, red spots

glhk - Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:26 pm

I've noticed my 12 yr.old daughter's legs turning a purple-ish color while standing, along with red splotches all over them, with some whiteness around each of the red spots.
The spots were scattered all over entire legs, anywhere from small to quarter size. I'm suspicioning food allergy(tomato) for the red spots, but not sure how the purple color fits in, if it's that. Looks like something under the skin, as opposed to a rash.
Noticed last night while she was just standing, have also noticed several times before, and also after her showers occasionally. Somewhat itchy last night, but the purple color went away, when I had her lay down. No itchiness today, and a small outbreak on back of thigh.
Greatful for any help, or what type of Dr. to start with?
THanks.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:57 pm

It seems to me that this purple discolouration is the result of leg congestion while standing. This is quite normal considering the effect of gravity on our veins causing pooling and stagnation of blood in the legs.
Individuals with weak walls of their veins (also normal) are quite prone to the effect of gravity on the venous system.
The marked congestion could also cause itching.
As for the rash, your pediatrician or a dermatologist should have a look.

|