News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Legs turning purple while standing, red spots

glhk - Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:26 pm

I've noticed my 12 yr.old daughter's legs turning a purple-ish color while standing, along with red splotches all over them, with some whiteness around each of the red spots.
The spots were scattered all over entire legs, anywhere from small to quarter size. I'm suspicioning food allergy(tomato) for the red spots, but not sure how the purple color fits in, if it's that. Looks like something under the skin, as opposed to a rash.
Noticed last night while she was just standing, have also noticed several times before, and also after her showers occasionally. Somewhat itchy last night, but the purple color went away, when I had her lay down. No itchiness today, and a small outbreak on back of thigh.
Greatful for any help, or what type of Dr. to start with?
THanks.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:57 pm

It seems to me that this purple discolouration is the result of leg congestion while standing. This is quite normal considering the effect of gravity on our veins causing pooling and stagnation of blood in the legs.
Individuals with weak walls of their veins (also normal) are quite prone to the effect of gravity on the venous system.
The marked congestion could also cause itching.
As for the rash, your pediatrician or a dermatologist should have a look.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here