Question: My Friends child is 10mo old and wont eat solid food

fruitloopsss1 - Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:20 pm

Ok my Friends child is 10 months old and wont eat solid food we have tried everthing he also has a stomach that looks kinda like and ethopian baby he has had that since he was born first the doctor said it was hernated then they said the heration was gone but no change in the stomach but now they say its a gass bubble I have had two kids myself and it don't look normal I am mainly worried about him not eating he don't like you to put any food to his mouth and he scraches himself until he's bleeding I don't know what is going on with him I think that there is somthing really wrong with the child I have asked her to swich pedatircs because I have had a bad experace with the one she is going to I don't want to say that I know more that a doc but it just don't add up they say the scraching is dry skin but he don't have dry skin she keeps him well lotioned if you can help shed some light on any of these problem I would be so greatfull

Thank you
Nancy
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:20 pm

Hello Nancy,
Someone has to examine this child for this markedly enlarged abdomen you're describing, as well as the itching.
It could be some simple gaseous distension, but it could also result from an internal organ enlargement or ascites. The itching could also be related.
As for this child's feeding habits, I wouldn't be concerned as this is a common complaint at this age with trials at weaning.

|