Question: Worried

mumoffive - Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:40 pm

Can someone please help me. My five year old son has been very lethargic for the past couple of months...he is very pale and very fatigued. He has been seen by his Peadiatrician who only ran an EKG and a Chest Xray..no other tests were done. I took him back to school only to have him cry and cry and not wanting to stay. I spoke with his teacher who is very concerned that Bailey is not well at all....she said he is headachey, very pale at times and cannot concentrate. I took him straight back to the medical centre and demanded a full blood count and any other test they could perform on him just to rule things out. The doctor we saw asked to check Bailey's urine and it came back showing leukocytes....yet he has no symptom of an infection, no fever, no soreness when urinating, he is physically ok apart from the paleness (which the peadiatrician did note) and the fatigue. We are awaiting his urine results and he gets his bloods done tomorrow morning. Should'nt Bailey have symptoms such as fever or pain if it is a bladder infection? Thanks in advance....Bailey's mum.
 angel2close - Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:52 pm

I assume that by now you have the results of Bailey's urinalysis and hopefully his blood work. If there does not seem to be an answer to Bailey's problems in the labs already done, I would ask the doctor what other tests could be ordered to help in making a diagnosis. If he/she does not have an acceptable answer (acceptable to you), perhaps another doctor could be recommended for a second opinion. Be certain that you have communicated with your pediatrician that you are seriously concerned about the changes in Bailey's behavior and his physical appearance. Working together you should be able to find the source of the problem. [/b]A parent usually knows when their child is ill and needs the aid of medical professionals. If you are not comfortable with the first doctor's opinion, it is always acceptable to seek the opinion of a second doctor.
 mumoffive - Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:06 pm

Hi and thanks for replying...no we do'nt have his test results back yet...they were taken yesterday afternoon, and we were told the urine test takes approx 48 hours so hopefully by the end of today or tomorrow they should be back. His bloods are'nt being done until tomorrow morning, (Friday) so we probably wo'nt get those results back until next week. He is at home with me and goes back to school on Monday. When I ask Bailey why he does'nt want to go to school, he keeps saying its because he's too tired, yet he sleeps all night. This is a child who 6 to 8 weeks ago jumped out of the car to go to school without any problems..loved school, and his teacher. He is having his CBC, thyroid, liver and kidney, iron and mono and a couple of other things tested tomorrow morning. Will update as soon as we know something...thanks
 mumoffive - Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:24 pm

Hi again...well its Monday here and we finally have 'some' results back. Unfortunately they 'lost' Bailey's urine, it never made it to the lab! All the nurse would tell me is that his bloods were abnormal but only minimally indicating to them Bailey has an infection going on somewhere in his body. They also said the thyroid result is a little low. Yet Bailey's only symptoms are paleness and fatigue. They are not going to repeat his urine test, they want to wait for four weeks, see if the antibiotic gets rid of the infection and retest his bloods again. Not sure what else we can do but wait. What are your thoughts on this diagnosis? He is back at school today, is on the antibiotic...hopefully things will be ok. Thanks for your help.
 angel2close - Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:37 am

Hello again. I hate when samples are "lost" before they make it to the lab. :x Cannot tell you how many times in 25 years I had to collect samples a second time due to this. Anyway, Bailey is back in school and I will be anxious to know how he is feeling in about 72 hours. In that time period one should be able to see changes in his demeanor if the antibiotic is doing the trick. :wink:
As a mother, I would ask for copies of Bailey's lab tests. I would also ask that the doctor sit down with me and explain the abnormals in his CBC, Chem Panel and whatever else they ran. As for the thyroid panel, I would definately want more information on those numbers and thoughts from your doctor on why they are abnormal and what they plan to do to follow-up on this. :? I do not know what is meant by his thyroid "is a little low". Dependent on what number they are talking about or if it was even a number that was being referred to. Did they mean that his TSH ( Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) was low, or did they mean that his results showed that his thyroid is trying harder and the TSH was actually high? A hormone 'deficiency' or a HIGH TSH generally will leave a patient tired, cranky, etc. I have suffered from this and am on medication. On the other hand a LOW TSH will tell you that the thyroid gland is overactive. This is generally characterized by hyper activity, loss of weight, etc. So they are direct opposites.
Hopefully you have a good enough repoir or relationship with your pediatrician that he/she will sit down and explain these things to you. If not, then an RN should sit and answer your questions. I am not familiar with your laws, but in the USA you would be entitled to copies of all of these lab reports. Let me know how Bailey, and YOU are doing in another couple days. Take Care. :wink:
 mumoffive - Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:18 pm

Hello again...I went in and asked for a copy of his blood report...there are a few things that are abnormal but not by much. On the results page for his thyroid, it reads that his TSH is normal but the Thyroxine was 13.9pmol/l and normal is 15-35 so only slightly abnormal. Below are his other abnormal readings...all not by much..

White Cell Count.....4.5 (4.6-13.4)
Mean cell HGB...29.8pg (23-29)
Lymphocyte Absolute...1.6 (2-6.4)
Monocyte Absolute......0.4 (0.7-1.5)
Glandular Fever...Negative
Iron..all normal
Globulin...24 g/l (25-35)...

He is still tired and pale but is willing to go to school now. I'll be having a word with his teacher at the end of the week to see how he's coping and she is also to phone me if she feels he's not well. I'm just hoping that it is an infection that will be clearing up with the antibiotics..will write an update next week, thanks for your help.
 mumoffive - Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:55 pm

Hello, just an update on Bailey. He had further bloods done again last Friday and we got the results in this morning which are still showing abnormality so they are going to investigate further...have an appointment tomorrow morning with his GP. He is coming home from school every day with a 'sore' tummy so surely it cannot just be your typical tummy bug for this long. Will update again if something is found. Thanks
 angel2close - Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:01 pm

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what was happening with Bailey. Please get back to us with the results of the consult with his GP. I do hope that they are able to diagnose the problem soon. I look forward to hearing from you again. My best to Bailey.

|