Question: neurological question

picklejuice - Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:59 pm

My 5 yr old daughter has been having neurological difficulties since last winter. They seem to be progressing...she's got exaggerated reflexes, ankle clonus (3-4 beats in one of them, 1-2 in the other), mild weakness in her arms, legs, and hips, tight hamstrings, starting to walk more on her tippytoes but not all the time, and her gait has become flat & stomping and sometimes absolutely off (can't even describe it). She has a movement disorder consisting of tics, intention tremors, and myoclonic jerks, and her feet are turning in somewhat and she is tripping on them. She also has sensory integrating problems, and is small for her age due to lack of appetite.
Her brain MRI is fine and we are being referred for a spine MRI also. They cannot tell us yet what this is, and as of now, have us coming for checkups every 6 months...but I would like them to rule out neuroblastoma. Can neuroblastoma present without any felt masses, and also I have read of the jerking eye and limb thing (can't remember the name of it)...is it possible to have the limb jerks without the eye movement? We do have a nephew with neurofibromatosis 1...is there any connection with neuroblastoma?
Any other thing we should be pushing for?
Thank you!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:20 am

The picture you've described could result from several primary neurological disorders.
Approximately 2% of patients with neuroblastoma present with opsoclonus and myoclonus, and a paraneoplastic syndrome characterized by the presence of myoclonic jerking and random eye movements. These patients often have localized disease and a good long-term prognosis.
I would wait for the results of spine MRI.

|