News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Bumping heads with StepMother

mchelleb - Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:59 am

My 7 year old son has always been a picky eater, he is a small child but not the smallest in his class, in the 7yrs of his life I can count on one hand how many times he has been sick, so over all as you can see he is a very healthy child, he is full of energy and shows no signs that his eating habits are hurting him, so I guess what I want to know is, the Step Mother thinks it's not normal for a child to have eating habits like this because her daughter is a good eater, and trys new foods were my Son will not, should I be concerned about his health or is this normal
 Michele P, RN - Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:55 am

Lots of children go through picky stages & stages where they don't like anything altogether. If it is a continual problem, he is getting at an unhealthy weight, weak, etc, or he is taking control of the situation, making it impossible for him to eat anything healthy, some intervention should come in.

If your son is not taking vitamins, I would suggest going to the pediatrician & discussing a daily supplement w/ him/her. The essential vitamins & minerals that a daily vitamin provide will help make up for some of what he might be lacking.

I do not know what foods it is that your son eats as you did not include this in your question so I cannot comment on that, or your stepmother's opinion on them. All I can say, without knowing what it is that he is eating is everyone in the world has different opinions on what is right/wrong, how to live, what to do, etc. Sometimes people's advice is the best thing that could ever happen for us & other times you need to just take what people say w/a grain of salt. A simple way of getting out of the conversation would be to say "I have discussed w/his pediatrician his eating habits & everything seems to be ok!! Thank you though, maybe you might have a few new reciepes for us to try to add some variety to what he already likes??

If you would like to write back w/the types of foods your son does eat & enjoy, we can discuss that.

Best of Luck :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here