Question: Bumping heads with StepMother

mchelleb - Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:59 am

My 7 year old son has always been a picky eater, he is a small child but not the smallest in his class, in the 7yrs of his life I can count on one hand how many times he has been sick, so over all as you can see he is a very healthy child, he is full of energy and shows no signs that his eating habits are hurting him, so I guess what I want to know is, the Step Mother thinks it's not normal for a child to have eating habits like this because her daughter is a good eater, and trys new foods were my Son will not, should I be concerned about his health or is this normal
 Michele P, RN - Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:55 am

Lots of children go through picky stages & stages where they don't like anything altogether. If it is a continual problem, he is getting at an unhealthy weight, weak, etc, or he is taking control of the situation, making it impossible for him to eat anything healthy, some intervention should come in.

If your son is not taking vitamins, I would suggest going to the pediatrician & discussing a daily supplement w/ him/her. The essential vitamins & minerals that a daily vitamin provide will help make up for some of what he might be lacking.

I do not know what foods it is that your son eats as you did not include this in your question so I cannot comment on that, or your stepmother's opinion on them. All I can say, without knowing what it is that he is eating is everyone in the world has different opinions on what is right/wrong, how to live, what to do, etc. Sometimes people's advice is the best thing that could ever happen for us & other times you need to just take what people say w/a grain of salt. A simple way of getting out of the conversation would be to say "I have discussed w/his pediatrician his eating habits & everything seems to be ok!! Thank you though, maybe you might have a few new reciepes for us to try to add some variety to what he already likes??

If you would like to write back w/the types of foods your son does eat & enjoy, we can discuss that.

Best of Luck :)

|