Question: Swollen & Painful Glands Beneath Ears

jh13190 - Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:50 am

My 15 year-old daughter awoke this morning with small swollen glands (?) directly beneath each ear, right next to her jaw. The right side is the most swollen and is particularly painful, she feels pain when she opens her mouth, even to speak, or moves her head too suddenly - even swallowing causes discomfort. You can't really touch the swollen gland either, due to the discomfort it causes. The glands were not swollen when she went to bed last night. Yesterday, however, she had a severe, burning stomach ache around mid-morning, accompanied by chills - it went away after an hour or so. I was sick yesterday as well, with stomach pain and vomiting - though mine lasted longer and I still feel the effects - no swollen glands for me, though. She said that she stomach ache felt like the burning sensation she would get right before developing a bout of hives (she went through a period of hives, about 6 bouts in one month). She has been taking Nadolol and Zomig (5mg) for a few months for severe, every-day headaches that she has had for around 6 months - I don't know if the medicine could cause it, even though she's taken the medicine for a while. I looked online and can't find any explanations for this - since the swelling is not equal on both sides, and only one side is painful. I can see the gland if I look at her neck from the side, so it's fairly noticeable, though still small in size. I read that this is not actually a lymph node, but a salivary gland - is that correct? If so, what could cause swelling? Someone mentioned mumps in children, but she's vaccinated against it.
 jh13190 - Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:55 am

Another thing that I forgot to mention, that might mean something - for about a week or so, she's also experienced discomfort in the jaw area whenever drinking or eating anything even remotely sour or tart. It's apparently that twinging feeling anyone gets when they eat something sour, but much more intense than she normally feels.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:18 am

OK, this does sound like a salivery gland inflammation, the parotids probably. There are several causes for that.
Please take her to the doctor for proper evaluation and treatment.
 sammmicraven - Mon May 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi, im sam. My glads are reallly swollen below my left ear. It's more painful than any thing. I found some antibiotics. So i started them. But how long will this hurt? And what else can i do to make it stop?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:46 am

User avatar Hi jh13190,
it is likely that your daughter had developed an acute bacterial parotitis(bilateral).In the not- so- distant past, poor oral hygiene, undernutrition and serious concurrent illness were the common causes.One does not see acute bacterial parotitis commonly anymore.However, occasionally it does occur and caused mostly by entry of microbes from the mouth retrogradely via the opening of the parotid ducts.Early antibiotic therapy is indicated. I hope this info is of use to you.Please keep in touch.We will be glad to help.

|