Question: Please Help My 6 Year Old Daughter

rybakgirl - Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:18 am

:( Two weeks ago my daughter was really constipated and passed a very large stool. Ever since then she has been complaining of belly pain in her belly area and around her belly button. She is nauseous, and wakes in the middle of the night occassionally because of it. This is an every day occurrance and happens several times throughout the day. I talked to her ped. dr and they said it could be just constipation. She has been going to the bathroom every day a couple of times a day and her stool is normal then goes back to being round hard balls. I am very concerned because last night she was complaining again and her aunt tickled her in her belly and she started to cry because it hurt to the touch. Today it hurts again and seems to be more frequent in the morning, afternoon and at night. I don't know what I should do, we have eliminated alot of the milk she was drinking, still allowed one glass but that is it. I am concerned that this might be more than just "constipation". Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:07 am

She seems to have inflammation of her colon (colitis), which is quite commonly the manifestation of an 'Irritable bowel syndrome', the equivalent of a 'spastic colon' in adults.
It usually presents with severe colicks and intermittent constipation.
However, if the pain becomes distressing and you see blood in her stools, or she develops constipation without even the passage of gas for more than 48 hrs, or there is persistent vomiting, or vomiting is greenish, you should re-seek medical advice.
Otherwise, drinking plenty of fluids can be helpful.

|