News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 5 Month old--sleep a mess

momsydpai - Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:47 pm

My baby is five months and was sleeping pretty well up until a few weeks ago.. She would go 5-8 hours at night and then out of the blue she now only goes 1 1/2 to 2 hours. She is exclusively breastfed. She eats every 3 hours through the day and naps for anywhere between 40min to 2 hours through day (total of about three hours). I do not have to heart to let her cry and she is a very HIGH need baby and if she is left to cry it escalates out of control. i do not know what to do but the sleep deprivation is catching up with me. Please help me with how to help her sleep. One of her things too is that she will roll over to her tummy and then she gets mad because she does not really want to sleep on it so we try o keep her wedged on her back. Please help me with what to do! Thanks
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:54 am

Seems to me like one of the following two could provide an explanation:
-She may be about to start teething which should be around 6 months of age, in which case you would find her drooling and biting excessively, with a low grade fever and passing soft mucous containing stools.
-Or it could be she has colicks from excessive gas building up in her intestines, in which case she would also be irritable, with intermittent constipation and twisting and turning her abdomen (could be why she rolls onto her tommy).
In the first case, you could try some over-the-counter sold soothing gels.
In the second case, try more frequent eructation, lay her on her side after feeds and try giving her some herbal tea before bedtime.
If, however, none of the above is present or she doesn't respond to any of these measures, kindly take her to the doctor to have a look.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here