Question: 11-yr. old daughter with lump on bottom of rib cage

sam61 - Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:57 pm

My 11-yr. old daughter has a lump on the bottom of her left side rib cage. She says it hurts just below her rib cage where the lump is hardest. The lump moves with her rib cage as if it's attached to her rib cage. I do plan to take her to the doctor in 2 days (the only appt. they had). Does anyone have any input?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:33 am

It could be the result of any inflammatory process of the bone of the ribcage. I suggest you give Motrin or Brufen till you see the doctor.
 sam61 - Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:41 am

Thank you Dr. Ismail - I was able to get an appointment today. I will post after she's been seen and let others know what her pediatrician suggests/does.
Sabina
 sam61 - Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:34 pm

an update on my daughter's lump. The nurse practicioner who saw her today said that it is most likely a callous forming on the cartilage that connects her bottom two ribs. My daughter is a gymnast, and when working on the unevern parallel bars, bumps against the bar with her stomach/bottom of the rib cage while doing moves. The practicioner said she has seen this before, so I'm not worried. It doesn't cause any pain, and doesn't get in the way of anything, so I'm good with this!
Sabina

|