News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Son has unusually small penis, worried

Mom of 2 - Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:00 pm

My son is 2 1/2 and has an very small penis. Even his scrotum is very small, almost flat. We noticed it was very small when he was born but thought that with time things may change..... They haven't and we are quite concerned. What might be a reason for this condition? My husband thinks it is his fault but I don't understand why, as he does not have the same problem.
Please help us understand why this may have happened. Is there anything that can be done about it?
Thank you for yout time,
 Michele P, RN - Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:22 am

Penises that appear abnormally small, but on palpation appear to have normal shaft w/normal stretched length are most of the time diagnosed w/: 1. buried penis, 2. webbed penis, 3. trapped penis or 4. micropenis All of these **most of the time** caused at circumcision.

Penis size varies w/ethnic background, at times, that also could be a factor & something that you should think about. Now, I'm getting into adult conversation here, these are ADULT figures, but here is some information according to Andro Medical the following sizes are averages found from country to country:

France – average erect size equals 16cm, or 6.3 inches
Italy, Russia – average erect size equals 15cm
Mexico – 14.9cm
Germany – 14.4cm
Spain – 13.6cm
Japan – 13cm
United States – 12.9cm, or 5.1 inches when erect
Saudi Arabia – 12.4cm
India – 10.1cm
Korea – 9.6cm

Ethnic Origin plays a greater role in penis size than geographic locale. It’s been said that Black men are generally better endowed than Caucasian men. Some facts bear this out w/ the average black man having a penis size almost 1 centimeter in length greater than an average Caucasian man. Generally, Asian men or North American Indians are less in length than black or white men.

I would suggest talking to the pediatrician about your concerns & maybe seeing a urologist. If you would like more information on the conditions I listed above, please let me know. I hope this winded reply was of some help.

Best of Luck :)
 Mom of 2 - Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:09 pm

Thank you for your response. In checking out micro penis on the internet they talk about hormone treatments. I'm just concerned, hoping his hormone levels are what they should be. His testicles do seem very small. He was not circumcised. I feel weird about this, but I measured him while he was sleeping and here is what I came up with. 3cm long and 1.3 cm wide. Would you consider this a micropenis? At this age he sure acts like a boy. He likes to play rough and loves trucks and tractors. Can hormone levels be checked at this age?
 Michele P, RN - Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:59 pm

A NEWBORN boy's penis is between 2.8 to 4.2 centimeters w/a circumference of 0.9 to 1.3 centimeters (According to Stanford Univ). A penis length of less than 1.9 centimeters (again - in a newborn), is usually considered micropenis.

There is no cure for micropenis but hormone therapy is sometimes suggested to stimulate penile growth. I would suggest speaking to your son's pediatrician. Seeing your son would be easier to come up w/a plan for him better.

By the way, there is nothing strange about your concern or questions!! Please let us know how you make out with your doctor's visit

Best of Luck :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here