News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: antibiotic cause false positive methamphetamineon drug test

swoll - Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:33 pm

hi i was wondering if you have any refs or information that has to do with antibiotics (such as pencillin doxycyline bactrim etc.. was on all + more) causing a false positive amphetamine or methamphetamine urine test?
i have not taken any amphetamine, or similar substances i think, but i was in for surgery for an infection and now i have shown up (the next day after surgery) positive on a urine test at the methadone clinic. i have been there 10 years without failing a drug test and now i have to go in daily instead of bi-weekly! 4+ hr round trip really is hard daily. any help will be greatly appreciated! - jason r.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 pm

I would want to ask if you have taken any other prescribed medications or over the counter products. Some medications such as those in cold remedies/sinus medications over the counter can cause a false positive amphetamine screen. Pseudoephedrine is a big one. (Sudafed's original formula). Ephedra will also do this. (although I am not sure Ephedra is even accessable now over the counter anywhere). However, I believe that the exact culprit can be identified through specific blood tests. What may show up as a postive amphetamine on a urine screen can be confirmed on a blood test. Blood work will even differentiate between an amphetamine and a methamphetamine.
So, though it may cost money and be more of an effort, you could request a serum drug screen in order to prove yourself.

Please be sure to give a list of everything you take prescribed and non prescribed before your drug screens. Include all herbal substances and over the counter supplements.

Debra Van Ness RN
 ToxPro - Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Antibiotics are not known to cross-react with modern drugs of abuse screening kits for amphetamines. That said, a urine drugs of abuse screen should always be confirmed, typcially by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GCMS). The are too many other-the-counter compounds (decongestants, diet pills) that can cause a false positive for amphetamines. This method of confirmation will also differentiate methamphetamine from amphetamine or phentermine, two commonly prescribed sympathomimetic amines that yield positive screening tests.

While a blood test may be helpful, it is not necessarily needed - the original urine should be confirmed by (at least) GCMS.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here