News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Doctor Notification of Filled Prescription

Yorker - Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:15 pm

Are doctors notified when prescriptions they've written are filled at a pharmacy?

I have a disagreement with a friend. A doctor wrote him a prescription for pain killers (hydrocodone). He filled the prescription as well as the allowed 3 refills.

He feels he needs more medication (I don't think he's really abusing them, he's just in a lot of pain.) He says he's going to call the doctor and say that he never used the prescription the doctor wrote a few months ago - that he lost it. He feels it would be easier than asking the doctor to write another prescription and have to explain why he's using so much of the medication.

So, if my friend tells the doctor that he never filled the prescription, will the doctor know that this is untrue? I think the doctor would know.
 Shelly S, RN - Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:03 am

Dear Yorker,

Not only am I a registered nurse student, I am a former pharmacy technician. I can tell you that the your friend is taking a huge risk of possible criminal charges if he decides to take the step of being dishonest about his Rx. All pharmacies keep the hard copy of prescriptions filed away. If your friend used the Rx, but says he lost it, all the doctor needs to do is call the pharmacy to see if the script was filled there. Not to mention that Hydrocodone is a controlled drug. I am sure that the doctor would be suspicious from the get go if your friend tries to do this. So tell your friend that honesty is the best option. If he is still having pain and needs a refill tell the doctor. It is not worth getting caught up in the lie. Charges for fraud related to prescription drugs can be very serious. Trust me, I have been there when many customers have been caught. And suprisingly most of time if was for Hydrocodone!

Shelly, ORT, SN
 IamaNurse - Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:45 am

Also - if your friend is in fact experiencing such pain that he is using up his Rx faster than is prescribed - he really should return to his physician for further assessment. It would seem that other pain control measures are required in order to keep him comfortable. By requesting an additional Rx from this physician your friend would be providing the physician with the necessary information needed (ie: pain not controlled with current Rx) to make changes in the current treatment plan.

His physician needs to be informed in order to help - and not kept in the dark (by pretending to have lost the prior Rx).
 Yorker - Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:37 pm

Thank you both for your response. I agree with you totally. I passed the info on to my friend.

Yorker

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here