Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: percocet verses darvocet

sue71 - Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

What is the difference between percocet and darvocet? I have trouble tolerating vicodin and when I had surgery last year I was prescribed darvocet and was happy with it. now I am having pain issues again and was prescribed percocet instead this time. is percocet closer in formulation to vicodan than darvocet. ( have looked them up online and I understand that percocet has oxycodone and acetaminophen and darvocet has propoxyphene and acetaminophen) I don't understand what the difference between oxycodone and propoxyphene is. thank you Sue
 kb142814 - Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:25 am

I'm not a health care professional, but I can tell you percocet is much stronger than vicodin and darvocet. If you didn't handle vicodin well, percocet probably isn't a good idea.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
These are similar narcotic pain relievers though Percocet is usually stronger than Darvocet. They both contain acetaminophen in addition to the opioid. There was some recent concern generating from Europe that even though it is considered less potent, the risk of overdose with Darvocet is actually more serious, particularly in the elderly or in doses above those recommended. As a result, doctors are more reluctant to prescribe Darvocet. The U.S. is conducting studies on this drug and the FDA has recommended a phased market withdrawal while the investigation proceeds.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us