Question: percocet verses darvocet

sue71 - Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

What is the difference between percocet and darvocet? I have trouble tolerating vicodin and when I had surgery last year I was prescribed darvocet and was happy with it. now I am having pain issues again and was prescribed percocet instead this time. is percocet closer in formulation to vicodan than darvocet. ( have looked them up online and I understand that percocet has oxycodone and acetaminophen and darvocet has propoxyphene and acetaminophen) I don't understand what the difference between oxycodone and propoxyphene is. thank you Sue
 kb142814 - Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:25 am

I'm not a health care professional, but I can tell you percocet is much stronger than vicodin and darvocet. If you didn't handle vicodin well, percocet probably isn't a good idea.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:53 pm

These are similar narcotic pain relievers though Percocet is usually stronger than Darvocet. They both contain acetaminophen in addition to the opioid. There was some recent concern generating from Europe that even though it is considered less potent, the risk of overdose with Darvocet is actually more serious, particularly in the elderly or in doses above those recommended. As a result, doctors are more reluctant to prescribe Darvocet. The U.S. is conducting studies on this drug and the FDA has recommended a phased market withdrawal while the investigation proceeds.