Question: Cialis - differences in dosage?

deb1919 - Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:36 am

I currently use Cialis occasionally, with a legit prescription. My question involves the different dosages and the differences between them.

Is taking a 10mg tablet the same as taking 2 of the 5mg "daily use" tablets? Or are the 5mg tabs different in some way? And conversely, is taking half a 10mg the same as a 5mg?

Please don't answer if you only think you know. I think I know, but I want to hear from someone who really knows.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Hello deb1919,

If both the Cialis 5mg and 10mg are prescribed for "daily use", then yes, two 5 mg are the same as one 10mg tablet, and one half of a 10mg is the same as a 5mg tablet. However, if the 5 mg tablet is for "daily use" and the 10mg is prescribed for use every 36 hours, then no, they should not be considered comparable and should not be interchanged without the advice of the prescribing physician. The issue is the amount of active ingredient that can remain in the body for more than 2 days, and cumulative dosage can lead to unpleasant or even dangerous side effects. Your pharmacist can also assist you with information and will provide the package insert from Lilly, the manufacturer.

Good luck to you.