Question: methotrexate side effects

gepsomething - Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 pm

i used methotrexate for 3 months.i quit using it because of my hemoglobin is 7.3.i have pretibial edema and edema on the back of my feet.İF the edema is one of the side effect how long will it take to get rid of this side effects and can you give me a detailed list of this drugs side effects
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Hello gepsomething,

Your information includes some cardiopulmonary health issues; I encourage you to see your doctor to be sure that your symptoms are not related to those conditions, since edema is a possible effect. Your anemia could also be a contributor. If your doctor determines that your edema isn't related to your existing conditions, ask his or her opinion regarding the possible side effect of methotrexate.

Known side effects of methotrexate include malaise, fatigue, headache, dizziness, fever, lethargy, drowsiness, blurred vision, various inflammations/irritations of mucous membranes, poor appetite, kidney issues, nausea, muscle aches and pains, joint pain, skin reactions, and reduced resistance to infection. There have been other, relatively rare effects involving the central nervous system. Your doctor or your pharmacist can help you understand potential side effects of any prescribed medication.

Good luck to you!