Question: methadone and Tramadol

marc1982 - Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:09 pm

i was prescribed methadone and Tramadol for my pain. someone told me i shouldn't take the two together so i looked it up on-line and find stuff that says you can and stuff that says you can't.

so I'm wonder is it safe or dangerous to take the two together
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi Marc1982,

Since Tramadol at high doses may increase the incidence of seizure activity, recreational use can be very dangerous. Used according to recommended dosages, it is known to have effects very like those of other opioids, such as Codeine. The effects aren't as intense, however. Tramadol can cause nausea, dizziness, insomnia and/or loss of appetite. It can be used to alleviate withdrawal symptoms from opiates, and has the advantage of being easier to lower the dosage in withdrawal programs. Use of Tramadol with Methadone has not been scientifically shown to lower the effects of Methadone, but some persons who have used the two medications together are convinced otherwise. There is no established contraindication for using both Tramadol and Methadone at the same time. As always, monitoring by your physician is key, and always report any unusual effects to your doctor right away.

Good luck!