Question: Epilepsy and Tanning Tablets

gigim - Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:46 pm

This is sort of a stupid question really, but am going on holiday soon, and I've come across these pills that help you get a tan.I struggle getting a tan, as I always burn, so I thought that these tablets might help. I found them at Holland and Barrett and I just wanted to make sure that I was safe to take them, incase they don't effect my medication.

The medication that I am currently on for my epilepsy is Lamotrigine and the tanning pills contain PABA, L-Lytrosine and copper. WIll any of these ingredients create a problem?

gigim
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Hello, gigim,

Your question is very reasonable, since medication interactions can be dangerous. I did considerable research on Lamotrigine and OTC drugs, and found only one possible contraindication identified, and that is folic acid. Folic acid was also listed as a potential benefit to be taken with Lamotrigine, but it was noted that they shouldn't be taken at the same time. It could be that no research into the particular substances you mentioned has been done in regard to Lamotrigine, but that also would be an indication that no adverse effects have been reported. It appears that you could take your tanning pills safely while taking Lamotrigine. However, if you notice any untoward effects after taking the tanning pills, discontinue them. It's always best to be safe, rather than sorry.

I hope you have a very nice holiday.