News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Epilepsy and Tanning Tablets

gigim - Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:46 pm

This is sort of a stupid question really, but am going on holiday soon, and I've come across these pills that help you get a tan.I struggle getting a tan, as I always burn, so I thought that these tablets might help. I found them at Holland and Barrett and I just wanted to make sure that I was safe to take them, incase they don't effect my medication.

The medication that I am currently on for my epilepsy is Lamotrigine and the tanning pills contain PABA, L-Lytrosine and copper. WIll any of these ingredients create a problem?

gigim
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Hello, gigim,

Your question is very reasonable, since medication interactions can be dangerous. I did considerable research on Lamotrigine and OTC drugs, and found only one possible contraindication identified, and that is folic acid. Folic acid was also listed as a potential benefit to be taken with Lamotrigine, but it was noted that they shouldn't be taken at the same time. It could be that no research into the particular substances you mentioned has been done in regard to Lamotrigine, but that also would be an indication that no adverse effects have been reported. It appears that you could take your tanning pills safely while taking Lamotrigine. However, if you notice any untoward effects after taking the tanning pills, discontinue them. It's always best to be safe, rather than sorry.

I hope you have a very nice holiday.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions
advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2017
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here