Question: Lasix vs Demadex?

greselda - Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:58 pm

I currently take one 40mg Lasix when needed for edema of ankles and feet ie., long car rides or hot weather or too much salt in my diet. I have heard that I can switch to Demadex instead and take it daily to prevent the swelling....is that true?

Also, I have heard that I would not have to take potassium with Demadex as I do have to with Lasix.

Thank You.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Hello greselda,

Demadex (torsemide) is a diuretic, and would reduce swelling (edema) such as you describe. The medication increases the urinary excretion of sodium, chloride and water. When it's first administered, the daily amount of sodium that is excreted in the urine increases for at least one week. With regular daily use, the daily sodium loss reaches a balance with dietary sodium intake, and no sodium replacement is required. There have been no observed drug interactions with Demadex.

Lasix is also a diuretic, and results in the urinary excretion of potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium and water. Potassium loss is the primary concern, and potassium replacement is needed with regular use of the medication. There have been multiple observed drug interactions with Lasix. Photosensitivity is a significant side effect.

Your information is basically true. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck!