Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Foot infection treatable with Azythromycn

lewisz609 - Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:38 am

I'm traveling in Vietnam, don't have access to a doctor or pharmacy, but have a full dosage of azythromyacin. I have an infection under the skin of top of my right foot, its one red bump, irritation from a shoes problem i think, its irritated swollen, but not too bad, enough that i beleive i should start antibiotics for it now. Is azithromycyn effective in treating this? enough that it should be taken? thanks
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 am

Hello lewisz609,

Azithromycin is effective for uncomplicated skin and skin-structure infections due to Streptococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, or Strep. agalactiae. It also can be effective in Stapholococcus aureus. It is specific to bacterial infections, and is used in the treatment of cellulitis and methylin-resistant staphlococcus aureus infections. Associated treatment would be to keep the area clean, apply warm compresses, and to see a doctor at the first opportunity. Other skin infections can be viral, fungal or parasitic, and the azithromycin likely would not be effective with such infections, but would address any secondary bacterial infections.

I hope this information is useful. Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us