News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: what can cause a false positive for meth

smith80amber - Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:25 am

I have taken 4 drug tests(urine) in the last month and all have come back positive for methamphetamine. I have never done meth in my life and now CPS has taken my children away because of it. I have researched all the drugs that cause false positives and haven't taken any of them. I have taken some generic pain relief pills that an old lady gave me on the bus and was wondering if maybe they weren't what the bottle said they were. But I have had 3 doctors tell me thay look like pain relief pills to them so I have to be on meth. I promise I am not and never have been so I was wondering if they could be laced with something or maybe if something medically could be going on with me that could be producing this result. My childrens lifes as well as my own depend on an answer because I don't know where to turn to prove my innocence when more than one has said positive. They gave me a mouth swab test and I am still waiting on the results but i'm worried for the simple fact that I'm not using and 4 different tests have said I am. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Hello smith80amber,

Stimulants, antihistamines and cold remedies, and weight loss preparations all can cause false positives for methamphetamine. The most cited resource appears to be the "Journal of Clinical Chemistry", Vol. 38, No. 12 (1972) and Vol. 39, No. 3 (1993). The Los Angeles Times News Services also produced a report listing 65 drugs that produced false positive results in urine testing for methamphetamines, but I could not locate a date; it was mentioned as a resource but not properly cited, so those drugs are not included.

Some of the over-the-counter drugs mentioned were Dristan Nasal Spray, Medications with chloropromine, fluspiriline, Nyquil, Contac, Sudafed, Allerest, Tavist-D, Deimetapp, Phenergan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu, Dexatrim, Acutrim, Vicks Inhaler, and Afrin. Asthma medications Marax, Bronkaid tablets and Primatine Tabs are also noted. Prescription medications that produce false positive results in urine testing include benzphetamine, fenfluramine, Redux, phentermine, Dexedrine, Ritalin, Cylert and Eldepryl, among others.

I sincerely hope this information helps you in this stresssful situation. Please let me know if we can provide any further information.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here