News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: (Zithromax), had Diarrhea, will it affect the results.

tivid321 - Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:29 pm

I took Zithromax in powdered form (suspension) about an hour after my meal and suffered from Diarrhea, i flushed toilet and 5 minutes later i saw what i believed to be the powder from the Zithromax Sache mixed with the water in the toilet. Is it possible that the drug has just passed straight through me?

Im very worried and would extremely appreciate a quick reply.
Thankyou
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 pm

User avatar Hello,When you swallow a tablet or suspension some amount is absorbed by the gastric mucosa and this absorbtion is decided on by the acidity of the stomach, ionization of the drug, gastric emptying time and presence of food.Most of the absorbtion takes place in the small intestine in the form of passive diffusion and active transport.Fine particle size makes absorbtion faster as in suspension.
Despite your having diaorrhea, there would have been absorbtion going on across the intestine and probably what you saw was mucoid material resembling the suspension.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions
advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2017
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here