Question: (Zithromax), had Diarrhea, will it affect the results.

tivid321 - Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:29 pm

I took Zithromax in powdered form (suspension) about an hour after my meal and suffered from Diarrhea, i flushed toilet and 5 minutes later i saw what i believed to be the powder from the Zithromax Sache mixed with the water in the toilet. Is it possible that the drug has just passed straight through me?

Im very worried and would extremely appreciate a quick reply.
Thankyou
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 pm

User avatar Hello,When you swallow a tablet or suspension some amount is absorbed by the gastric mucosa and this absorbtion is decided on by the acidity of the stomach, ionization of the drug, gastric emptying time and presence of food.Most of the absorbtion takes place in the small intestine in the form of passive diffusion and active transport.Fine particle size makes absorbtion faster as in suspension.
Despite your having diaorrhea, there would have been absorbtion going on across the intestine and probably what you saw was mucoid material resembling the suspension.