Question: smell exhaust inside

ohforcryingoutloud - Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:34 am

I have been smelling something akin to vehicle exhaust inside off and on during the day for the last three days. It happens at home, at work - no one else can smell anything. If I walk to a different room, the smell goes away, but if I am in the room for a short time, the smell comes back. It's disgusting and my eyes and throat will burn. It will tingle around my lips sometimes also (feels like I am coming down with a cold sore). I started a new medication, chlorthalidone, 8 days ago - could that be it? I do have allergies and am on other hypertension medications. We will be purchasing carbon monoxide detectors and have the heating system checked, but why am I the only one to smell it?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:43 am

User avatar Hello,The sensation of bad smell when there is no odor is known as phantosmia which in contrast with parosmia is altered smell when there is odour.Amongst the many causes aura due to migrane,temporal lobe epilepsy,upper respiratory infections,schizophrenia are amongst the listed causes.You were right when you suspect antihypertensive medication to be a cause too.
Journal of Hypertension:Volume 21(10)October 2003pp 1805-1813
Influences of antihypertensive and antihyperlipidemic drugs on the senses of taste and smell: a review.Doty, Richard L; Philip, Shaji; Reddy, Krishna; Kerr, Kara-Lynne

Smell and Taste Center, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

The review lists the antihypertensive and antilipidemic medication on the chemosensory function leading to potential disturbance in the perception of taste and smell.
Though I am not sure about whether it is specifically related to the drugs one has to think along these lines also.Do consult your doctor, and you should continue medications with out break unless the physician recommends it otherwise.