Question: Klonopin withdrawal advice needed.

444Robert - Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

I am on Klonipin .5mg @ 2 per day. It was prescribed to offset the effects of Glipizide, which makes me feel "out of sorts" and anxious. Being a controlled substance it has to be approved each time by the doc. Is it recommended to go off this med cold turkey? I experience horrible withdrawal symtoms. Is there another med I might take to ease the withdrawals, or should I "taper" myself off? What are the dangers of cold turkey withdrawals? I am currently uninsured and it causes problems with being able to see the doc.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi -

Klonopin should not be discontinued abruptly, but should be titration downward over a period of 1 to 2 weeks. Your dosage is low, so no major withdrawal symptoms would be expected if titrated over the time mentioned. Abrupt withdrawal can result in anxiety, irritability, insomnia, panic attacks, and/or tremors. Abrupt withdrawal after prolonged use of high doses can result in seizure activity. Some physicians may choose to prescribe another medication, but most drugs of this type do require a tapering off period. Since we do not know your situation or overall medical status, it's beyond our ability to make specific treatment recommendations. Your doctor is the best resource in monitoring the discontinuation of the medication and managing any issues that may result.

Good luck to you.