Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: fioricet & 5-htp interaction

pqmunchkin - Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:51 pm

I take fioricet frequently (1 or 2) for tension headaches and to relieve post-herpetic neuralgia from shingles (I had them over my head and neck). I worry about interactions if I start taking 5-htp for sleep & weight issues as suggested by an ND. What about melatonin and fioricet/fiorinal?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 am

User avatar Hello, I could not access any interactions for 5-HT with either acetaminophen, caffeine,butalbitol combination(Fioricet),individually or in combination. It does look like there could be a minor interaction between caffeine and melatonin.
Oral caffeine may increase the bio availability of melatonin significantly.The clinical significance for this interaction is unknown.
It is important for you to share the drug information with your doctor because in a forum like this it may not be possible to correlate all factors in giving you all the possible interactions with other drugs you may be taking too.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us