doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Student Topics

Question: Visiting your Doctor

Krnoto55 - Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:52 am

I just joined this website. I've been reading through the posts and I'm horrified at what some of you are posting. If I had some of your symptoms I'd be visiting my personal Doctor for an evaluation.

Many replies are site Doctors advising posters to visit your Doctor. Have you? I'm curious if you found an answer to your inquiry, yet there are no futher follow-up postings.

From what I've read, this site is not a substitute for visiting your Doctor in the flesh.

All I can say is go visit your Doctor if you have any out of the ordinary symptoms. Don't depend on the Doctors on this board. They can only advise you based on the detail wording of your posting. That is it.

I wish you all relief of your medical problems, so please if you think your condition warrants questioning a physician, please go see one.

thank you,

Ken
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Dear Ken,

Thank you very much for using our website.

You are right.

There is no substitute for visiting one's own personal physician.

Some of the posts here on the website are patients who already saw their physicians and want a second opinion, some of them need support, I feel sometimes that some of the patients just want to get the load off their chests.

Sometimes, you will notice that some of the posters will mention that they don't have insurance or some of them like the patients in the United Kingdom don't have access to their doctors for a regular non-emergency visit except after a few months because of how the health system is constructed over their so instead of waiting and do nothing why not get an opinion from here or there.

There are few patients who give feed back on the website but I wonder about the other patients that don't give any feed back.

My explanation is that people nowadays like to talk to computers more than humans, no wonder, we are now living in the digital world era.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and waiting for more of your posts.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
soirse - Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:39 pm

Ken,

There are people that don't go to see their doctors for many reasons and a resource like this is invaluable. If you have taken the time to read enough of the messages posted you will see there are cases that this board has prevented someone from becomaing seriously ill or worse. Aside from anything else, every doctor on this board in every message I have read always insists on users going to thier GP should the symptoms suggest something serious. did you know in the UK and Ireland combined there is in excess of 350 million UK pounds wasted on pointess visits to the doctor?

And also, if you aren't a GP which I suspect you aren't qualified to comment.

I appreciate your remarks but do not agree that this board dissuades people from visiting their doctor. In fact, I firmly believe it to be quite the contrary.

Kind regards,

Egan

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.